Learning Danish is key to integrating into Danish society and will also help you on the job market.
Apply for free Danish language courses
AOF Job & Dansk, in agreement with City of Odense, gives language courses to adult internationals in Odense and in a number of other municipalities on Funen. You need to have a CPR number in order to be referred to a free course. Once you have registered in Odense and received your CPR number, you will receive a letter to your digital post with an offer for a Danish Language Course from the municipality.
Courses at Tietgen Kompetencecenter
Tietgen Kompetencecenter offers various Danish language courses (FVU) for internationals in Odense, who speak a bit of Danish, free of charge. Find more information about the language courses here.
Interested in learning Danish faster? Find information about Tietgen's intensive courses here.
Courses at AOF Odense
AOF Odense also offers various Danish language courses (FVU) for internationals in Odense, who speak a bit of Danish. The courses are free of charge, and take place during daytime and in the evenings as well. Find more information about the language courses here.
Practice your Danish
We've compiled an extensive list of tips and helpful online sources for learning and practicing Danish language. Take a look and see if something might be just right for your language learning needs.
Expand your network - speak Danish with the Danes here:
- Chat in Danish – an informal meeting with both Internationals and Danes, focused on practicing Danish
- Sprogcafé at Borgernes Hus - free and informal language café. Find the events via Odense Hovedbiblioteks Facebook page
- Sprogcafeen organized by volunteers at FTS Odense
- Dansk at Vollsmose library – free and informal Danish training at Vollsmose Library
- Café Klosterbakken - help with Danish language and guidance about Danish society
- Language café at Bolbro Brugerhus
- Speak Danish Café - practice Danish, get help with homework; everyday issues; and understanding letters (only for course participants at LærDansk)
- Swap Language - find a language tandem partner in your area
Danish language group for international children and their parents - a shared learning space for parents and children, with songs, games and books
Helpful online links for learning and practicing Danish:
- www.loecsen.com - compare Danish language with your mother tongue
- www.babbel.com - listen to audio examples and dialogues recorded with real native speakers
- www.basby.dk - pronunciation and grammar, i.e. here you can find the list of different verbs in different tense.
- www.fjern-uv.dk - grammar, difficult expressions, interesting crosswords
- www.sprogbutik.dk - a website where you can buy books to learn Danish
- www.pimsleur.com - get to speak right from the first day
- www.danskherognu.dk - vocabulary within working tools, like craftsmen and similar
- www.memrise.com - learn Danish in a fun way
- www.swaplanguage.com - find a tandem partner and exchange languages
- www.udemy.com - 7 weeks course to learn basic vocabulary, grammar and communication skills
- www.internationalcommunication.dk – Danish for all levels
- www.mondlylanguages.com - master the most essential words and phrases
- www.duolingo.com - learn and practice Danish online, have an app with you on your phone!
- Watch Danish TV - especially programs for children with subtitles
- See popular Danish TV-series (Matador, Rita, Borgen, Krøniken, etc.)
- See cartoons or read comics
- Listen to Danish radio
- Read Danish newspapers, magazines and books
- Listen to audio books
- Organize a reading group with your friends
- Become a volunteer in an association, where you could work in a field you are interested in and have an opportunity to practice Danish at the same time
- Go to a local library and get help to find books, audio books and other practice material