Spring til indhold

Getting married

Considering getting married in Odense? Here's what you need to know.

Getting married

To get married in Denmark you need to send an application for a certificate of marital status to the Agency of Family Law. Unless both you and your partner meet one of the following criteria:

  • You are a Danish citizen
  • You are a citizen in a Nordic country (i.e. Finland, Sweden, Norway or Island)
  • You have a permanent residence permit, issued in Denmark
  • You have an obtained a permanent residence right under the Directive 2004/38/EC implemented in Danish law as “EU-Opholdsbekendtgørelsen”

In that case you need to apply for a certificate of marital status at the local municipality.



To reach the Wedding office at The City of Odense, send an email to vielse@odense.dk or call +45 66 13 13 72. You'll find the Wedding office's phone opening hours here.